Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Claus

I’ve loved the whole concept of Santa ever since I was a child. I never really believed in the existence of this mythical person but that never stopped me from enjoying and creatively exploring the whole idea of who Santa is and what he does. Being the picky child that I was with my imagination I pretty much defined to myself who Santa is, where he comes from, what he looks like, how he works, where he works, etc. Yeah, I was a weird kid and I guess I still am. I won’t go into all the detail that I created in my life but I have some fun examples of what I feel explains how I see things.
Since I’m a movie fanatic a particular film mostly defined for me who Mr. Claus is. It’s a fun and corny 1985 film called Santa Claus: The Movie, Starring Dudely Moore and John Lithgow (3rd Rock). This is an odd film because it is basically divided into two movies. The fist half is about the genesis of Santa and the second half is an odd ball 80’s adventure with two annoying children. Whenever I watch this movie I only watch the first half because the second half is just not worth it. This film creatively presents how Santa came to be and it has wonderful Swiss inspired Production Design (i.e. Santa’s Workshop and his slay).
As for the way Claus looks, aside from the classic Coca-Cola Santa by Haddon Sundblom, I’ve always looked towards the paintings of Dean Morrissey.As you can see I'm an old fashion kind of guy.






1 comment:

Kenfield said...

I reposted brighter images for this post. I noticed the original ones were a little dark.

-Josh