Saturday, July 08, 2006

Monkeys of the Caribbean

And now to set the mood for Josh’s following entry, I must ask….Did you hear about the new pirate movie? It’s rated “Rrrrrrrrr.” Okay, it’s not, but that’s still one of my favorite lame jokes. Anyway, here is Josh’s more thought provoking reminisce about times gone by. Take it away matey….
















With the next installment in of the Pirates of the Caribbean films releasing in theaters, I was inspired to pull out my old Monkey Island games. These are some of my favorite computer games of all time and they are considered Lucas Arts classics. Monkey Island was made when the Lucas Arts game company was creating some of their most original and creative projects. It had everything, a young naive hero who wants to become a pirate, a beautiful yet brave seaworthy woman, cannibal natives, a voodoo witch complete with spells, cursed zombie-like pirates, and an evil Captain (ala Flying Dutchman). The “Pirate” films are like watching these games come to life because they share a lot of the same elements listed above. Both are also comedy adventures that create a fun fantasy world out of pirating. Like the movies these games were also inspired by the classic Disney ride. Despite the older graphics and game play these games are still loads of fun. They sure don’t make ‘em like they used to. Now, who wants some rum er, grog?

8 comments:

Kenfield said...

Through a series of random and even scary events I found the personal blog of Ron Gilbert, the creator of Monkey Island. Check out this link and see what he had to say regarding the Pirate movies: http://grumpygamer.com/8123463

lightyear8 said...

These games look like they could be fun. Maybe they will release some sort of classic collection for a whole new group of fans to discover. I wonder how they would hold up today. Often Video Games don't tend to hold up over time like movies do.

Did you see Dead Man's Chest? What did ya think?

Anonymous said...

For a really good modern pirate game check out http://puzzlepirates.com

It's an RPG and puzzle game all wrapped up into one. Good, good times...

Kenfield said...

I'd love to see a classic or anniversary collection come out someday! I can't honestly say how these would hold up today because there are no longer any point and click adventure games made these days. They would need to update the graphics to appeal to a newer audience but for me I enjoy the old graphic look for pure nostalgia.

I did see Dead Man’s Chest and overall I was entertained but I still like the first one better. I give a more detailed response on your blog, Shane.

Liz, I like what I see of the Puzzle Pirates game. The people remind me of the Lego characters.

Anonymous said...

The three-headed monkey took all my grog. Maybe I can get back to the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen to get some more.

Joshua said...

I thought that Deadman's Chest was a bit too runaround for me. It was nice that I couldn't predict exactly what was going to happen next though. I think the cineamatographer did a really good job getting fun shots with all the rolling though... I was really impressed with that... but then, I'm a know-nothing psych boy, so... ya...hi!

Ryan said...

I love love love the art in The Curse of Monkey Island. I wish companies would avoid going the 3D route for those games. The hand-drawn animation just lends so much more character.

Kenfield said...

AMEN to that Ryan!